Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Repurposing

Good morning Stampers!

In my last post - Heartfelt Thanks - I used the word "repurpose". This word is not one I came up on my own, but from a fellow stamper and papercrafter. "Repurposing" is when you use an item other than what it was originally made for. So the fabric glitter writer was made to be used on fabric. I then used it as an adhesive on my cardstock. I thought of it as this..it is made to go on fabric (durable and it has to adhere) and it is made to go through the wash (so the H2O)content was going to be low (couldn't be water soluble since fabric can be washed).

Okay, now for all that scrapbook paper I have. Let's face it..scrapbook paper can become outdated. And if you are like me, you have some that you have had so long that you know it is outdated! Here are some ideas that I have heard over time.

1. Trade with a friend - she may think of the "perfect project" to use it for.
2. Donate it - church, daycare, school, etc.
3. Wrap a small gift in it.
4. Make an envelope out of it to send your handmade card in.
5. Make an origami box out of it to put a small gift in.
6. Use it on your stamp table as a surface to work on. Keeps your area clean and
you feel less guilty tossing it out afterwards.
7. On the flip side of the patterned paper there is one of three things:
a. White - your basic
b. A coordinating color to the patterned sheet on the flip side
c. Another pattern that coordinates to the flip side
You can use the white or the coordinating color as a layer. The layers don't
always have to be cardstock weight.
In my Heartfelt Thanks posting, I mentioned the brown layer was from a flip side
of patterned paper I did not like. It did coordinate with the pattern paper I
was using.
8. Starter paper for a fire :)

I am sure there are other "repurpose" items out there that I have yet to think of.
I would enjoy hearing about any times you have "repurposed".

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: