Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thinking of Valentines

Good morning stampers!

Well, as it turns out, the stamping mojo comes back to me the week before I return to school. I thought this semester I would not hold myself to saying when I would post, but post as I could. I really don't expect you to check everyday, but if you signed up through the RSS feeder, you will receive an e-mail notifying when I have posted something. Just something to think about. I utilize the RSS feeder for blogs I like, but don't have the time to check daily. I receive an e-mail when the person has posted something. Another nice feature is that e-mail you receive is actually the post with a picture - if there is one. I also know that some bloggers have only a partial post e-mailed to their RSS subscribers. That is so you will go to their website. The person may have their blog supported by advertisers and that person receives compensation one of two ways - when the "public" clicks on the advertisers icon or if the "public" actually purchases something off the advertisers website. So it is a way for the blogger to be compensated for their efforts - especially if they put a lot of effort into their blog. Some of these blogs appear to be a full time job - and I have read where some have quite their job to blog full time! That is how many "hits" they receive daily -to replace their income.

Anyway, I got to thinking of Valentine's day and actually wanted to work ahead. I began working on my son's Valentine's for preschool.




I am using supplies that I had on hand. I had this cute lion stamp that says "hi there" over his head. I picked him up at a local craft store, awhile ago, when they were advertising 2 for $1.00. So for 0.50 I got a cute stamp to use on my son's behalf. He can pay me back when he begins to earn "chore money" LOL.
I blocked the "hi there" and stamped just the lion in Black Staz-On ink. That image went onto watercolor paper. I added color by starting with Apricot Appeal as a base. then I used Really Rust to highlight areas, and then used Creamy Caramel all over. Because I stamped the lion on watercolor paper, I was able to blend the Really Rust color with the Creamy Caramel color. It softened the highlight color.
I then pulled out my Wizard Dies in the Oval and Scallop oval shape. I used my cuttlebug to cut the ovals and oval scallops out.
To make this more "Valentinesy" I used a retired SU candy heart set in Rose ink and punched the image out using a heart punch I have had forever! (Just when I think to let things go...I end up using it. Unfortunately, it just reinforces me not to get rid of things!) I used a SU! pop dot and attached him to the lion. Since my son likes hugs, I thought the "hug me" would be appropriate.
I also had this scrapbook paper - yes, I have had it for a while - and wanted to use it up. I thought it was perfect for the "boys" in his class. (I don't have the girls done yet, but it is similar template).
To get the verse on the front, I used the SU font CD (which is retiring) and printed that. When I ran the scrapbook paper through the printer, the pieces did not always stay in place. So, determined to use what I have I cut the piece in half and re-printed on the smaller square. Thus you get the two looks of the Valentine Day card.
Also - I used a 3 1/2 x 5 size card in Kraft. So it is more a note card size this year. I have yet to figure out what candy I am going to put with it or how I am going to attach it, but the card concept is done.

No comments: